The 8th of May 2020 marked the 75th VE Day anniversary . Every year people across the country celebrate the end of World War 2 in Europe. Good times were to be had by all in true British fashion.
To enjoy the special occasion our chefs put together this delightful fruitcake recipe.
150g (5oz) Butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
200g(7oz) Self-raising flour
200g (7oz) Glace Cherries, washed and chopped, dry thoroughly on
200g (7oz) Sultanas
2 large eggs
1 tbsp milk
Finely grated zest of 2 lemons
25g (1oz) flaked almonds
Cooks Tip – Measure the ingredients carefully- the cake batter
should be quite firm if it is too wet all the fruit could sink to the
1. You will need a 2lb loaf tin (900g) or (optional) – two 450g (1lb)
Loaf tins and split the mix into two to make two more moist cakes.
Preheat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas.
2. Grease the tin or tins with butter and line with baking paper.
3. Mix all the ingredients except the flaked almonds
4. Put the mix into the tin or divide the mix into the two tins.
5. Level the top of the mix and sprinkle on the flaked almonds.
6. Bake in the oven for one and Quarter hours or until golden on top
and firm to touch.
7. Set aside and cool for about 10 minutes then turn out onto a wire
rack to cool down properly